Art, Craft and Design
If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and the voice will be silenced’ Vincent van Gogh
We aim to inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to invent and create their own works of art, craft and design as well as collaborative pieces. The curriculum is all inclusive with the intention to promote: confidence, curiosity, creativity, critical thinking skills, self-expression and the resilience to succeed.
At Kingsway Primary School we aim for the children to be well equipped for their journey into secondary school with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills. We aim:
- To offer opportunities to stimulate children’s creativity and imagination by providing visual, tactile and sensory experiences and opportunities to record their response
- To develop understanding of colour, line, tone, texture, pattern and their ability to use materials and processes to communicate ideas, feelings and meanings
- To explore with children ideas and meanings in the work of artists, craftspeople and designers and help them to learn about their different roles
- To help them to learn about the function of art, craft and design in their own lives and in different times and cultures
- To help children to learn how to make thoughtful judgments and aesthetic and practical decisions.
All children shall benefit – Every Child, Every Chance, Every Day.
At Kingsway Primary School, Art, Craft and Design is threaded through the curriculum to engage, inspire and challenge pupils to be the best that they can be.
As artists, pupils have the opportunity to explore, experiment and engage creatively. Through Art, Craft and Design, we aim to inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills over time to invent and create their own works of art, craft and design, as well as collaborative pieces. Our Art and Design curriculum is mapped out carefully to ensure that children experience a wide range of experiences which enable skills to build up over time.
The thing I like about Art is drawing portraits- I like to get better at drawing realistic things. Gracie Year 3
Art makes me feel joyful because I start with a mark and then I get a full picture! Tommy Year 3
The children have been and will continue to be, immersed in a creative curriculum encapsulating all of the arts. This has included visits from a plethora of different artists and the children have been enabled to take part in the creation of music, Indian dance, a play in a day and newspaper reports.
Kingsway's Creative Books
The Creative Kingsway books celebrate the work of the children in all areas of the arts and include quotes from the children (who also can help to choose what is included in the book), photographs and original/photocopies of art work. They are an inclusive celebration of the children’s’ creativity and a record of achievement, of which the children are extremely proud. They clearly show progression and how the children have developed over time. During parents’ evening the books are displayed in the library for sharing and the children enjoy explaining the contents to viewers.Artsmark Gold Award
In July 2021 Kingsway Primary School was awarded the Artsmark Gold Award in recognition of its work in relation to The Arts.
Jubilee Exhibition May 2022
30th May 2022
To celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, we held an art exhibition to show case our portraits of The Queen.