At Kingsway, we want every pupil to open their eyes to the wonderful world that surrounds them. We encourage our children to ask questions and be inquisitive, to actively make reasoned links between what they know already and what they strive to understand, and to find meaning in what they marvel, observe and investigate.
We believe that Science encompasses the acquisition of knowledge, skills and positive attitudes. With this in mind, our curriculum has been developed to ensure full coverage of the National Curriculum, through practical experiences, which will enable pupils to acquire and use key scientific knowledge and skills. We want our children to have a broad vocabulary. With this in mind, scientific language is taught and built upon as topics are revisited in different year groups and across key stages. Cross-curricular opportunities are identified, mapped and planned to ensure contextual relevance, which helps the children make sense of the world around them.
We are committed to providing our pupils with the confidence, resilience and ability to find out more… and to thoroughly enjoy this enquiry-based learning process every step of the way!
The aims of our Science curriculum are to enable children to:
- Be inquisitive - ask and answer scientific questions.
- Plan and carry out fair scientific investigations, using a wide-variety of equipment.
- Develop a strong understanding of the various types of enquiry.
- Evaluate evidence and present conclusions clearly and accurately.
- Confidently articulate a wide-range of scientific vocabulary precisely.
- Know and understand the life processes of living things.
Every Child, Every Chance, Every Day.
For children, Science is the exploration of the world around them through investigation. As scientists, we encourage children to be curious about natural phenomenon and to be excited about understanding the world around them. Therefore, this subject feeds seamlessly into the investigative and innovative approach of the Cornerstones curriculum. The majority of the Science curriculum is integrated into our thematic projects which provide enrichment across the curriculum. In some cases, additional Science objectives are taught discretely to ensure that we deliver the entire national curriculum.
The following documents outline how the Kingsway Science Curriculum enables clear progression in children's ability to understand and apply scientific skills and vocabulary:
- Vocabulary - knowledge focussed
- Vocabulary - skills focussed
Please click on the following links to access Kingsway's Science Policy and Recovery Action Plan.
Yr 1 Science
Science Topic Overview
Science Long-Term Plans
Please click on the documents listed below to access the long-term science plans for each year group.
- EYFS Science Long Term Plan 2022-23
- Year 1 Science Long Term Plan 2022-23
- Year 2 Science Long Term Plan 2022-23
- Year 3 Science Long Term Plan 2022-23
- Year 4 Science Long Term Plan 2022-23
- Year 5 Science Long Term Plan 2022-23
- Year 6 Science Long Term Plan 2022-23