For the academic year 2022-2023 we have decided to replace our School Council with a Pupil Parliament. This aim of this is to give increased opportunities for Pupil Voice across the school and give children the opportunity to achieve greater autonomy when running this committee.
The Pupil Parliament will work to make improvements to the school and the way we do things. We will look around for things that could be better and discuss what to do. We value the opinions of all our pupils so we make sure everyone gets a chance to speak. The members of our Pupil Parliament are representatives of the school community and will present their finding and ideas with the rest of the school.
Our Pupil Parliament aims to ensure that all children have:
- A safe, happy and fair learning environment
- A freedom to voice their concerns and act upon them
- Opportunities to make suggestions on ‘life at Kingsway’
- An opportunity to take an active role in the organisation of the school
- An opportunity to experience a democratic process
Meet our Pupil Parliament
Year 6 'Cabinet' roles include:
Deputy Prime Minster
Chancellor of the Exchequer
Sports and Culture Minister
MPs (Members of Parliament) will be elected from each class across the school.
Applications and interviews for roles within our Pupil Parliament are currently underway and we look forward to introducing you to our new Cabinet and Members of Parliament in due course. Elections are due to be held on 14th October 2022.
Our Pupil Parliament Rules
All Pupil Parliament members must:
- Be respectful and listen to others
- Contribute or participate in meetings
- Follow the school rules and be role models to other pupils
- Model good behaviour at all times
- Be polite and courteous to others
- Use their position on Pupil Parliament to support and develop their school and peers
Our Pupil Parliament meetings will be held once every two weeks and will be chaired by our elected Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister. Additional meetings may be called if needed.
The Pupil Parliament members will be given the opportunity to check in with their class which they represent once a month to gather pupil’s thoughts and opinions. These will then be fed back to all members during our next meeting.
2022-2023 Pupil Parliament Action Plan
To be agreed at the first meeting of the elected Parliament