At Kingsway, the School Council works to make improvements to the school and the way we do things. We look around for things that could be better and discuss what to do. We value the opinions of our pupils so we make sure everyone gets a chance to speak. Our school council members will present their finding and ideas with the rest of the school. All children at Kingsway will vote on the best ideas before a decision/change is made.
Our School Council aims to ensure that all children have:
- A safe, happy and fair learning environment
- A freedom to voice their concerns and act upon them
- Opportunities to make suggestions on ‘life at Kingsway’
- An opportunity to take an active role in the organisation of the school
- An opportunity to experience a democratic process
Meet our School Council
Each year at Kingsway we hold an election to vote for school council representatives from years 3 – 6. Some children from these year groups will then be paired with classes from Nursery – Year 2 to be their voice. A good representative will speak at the council meetings about things that their class are interested in. They will also tell their class about what is going on in the council meetings and share the minuets with them. Each class will be given a Class Council book for ideas to be noted down on issues or ideas for improvements which will then be discussed at the next council meeting.
Our School Council Rules
All School Council members must:
- Be respectful and listen to others
- Contribute or participate in meetings
- Follow the school rules and be role models to other pupils
- Model good behaviour at all times
- Be polite and courteous to others
- Use their position on School Council to support and develop their school and peers
Our School Council meetings will be held once every two weeks. Additional meetings may be called if needed. These meetings are currently held on Mondays over dinner time.
The School Council members will be given the opportunity to check in with their class which they represent once a month to gather pupil’s thoughts and opinions. These will then be fed back to all members during our next meeting.
2021-22 School Council Action Plan
- Introduce School Council
- Help children plan activities to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- Create voting station for all pupils to decide on a charity which we will focus on raising awareness and money for this year.
- Plan activities and events to raise funds.
- Help with interviews in school